Mere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mere

(Copied from http://mpuk.scusack.com/mere/ for posterity, although i suspect some of the attributions are incorrect as the post attriubted to Cabe refers to Cabe in the 3rd person in the text)
    • SODDOM:

The start of an event is the first second of EAS. The time until this moment is known as Mere. Mere comes in several different levels ranging from Mere years to Mere seconds.

The biggest problem seems to be deciding when to change from one level of Mere to the next. S.O.D.D.O.M. says that so long as there is > 1 of a certain level, we still call it by this. For example if there is 1 week, 3 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds left until EAS there is 1.5 weeks left. Therefore we are still in the weeks level of Mere. We do not change to Mere days until there is less than one week left as then we are into the Mere days level.

Imagine a series of glass containers, suspended one above another in a ladder. We start with the top level of our ladder as full of water – think of this as the Mere months level. As time goes by and we get closer to EAS the water falls through a hole at a steady rate into the next container below it. We declare that the top level is not necessary once it is empty and no longer has any wtaer left in it. The same is with Mere.

We cannot say that we are out of the Mere weeks stage until all of the time remaining in the weeks layer has run out. As this method is decimal, there is no rounding up or down. S.O.D.D.O.M. is exact, to the second.

- Mark "Elbonio" Tilbrook
    • Naturalist:

When you have 8 days until the lan, are you really going to say it is “mere weeks” away? No, no you’re not.

However, upon reading the article by my esteemed colleague in mere, Mr Cabe, I would like to declare my allegiance to a radical new splinter group.

I would like to propose, ladies and gentlemen, that although the concept of expansionist mere may be correct, the boundaries are not.

I think we agree that 8 days from the lan, despite being “mere weeks” in the metric system, would naturally be referred to as being “mere days away”. However, if it is Monday and the lan commences on the Friday evening of the following week, even the most die-hard imperialists can see the sense in describing this as “mere weeks”.

In order to resolve this conflict between regulation and sense, I would like to present to you The Naturalist Theory of Mere.

The human is not an instinctively decimal animal. One wouldn’t say something that cost £1.01 cost “a couple of quid” but one probably would say that about something that cost £1.99. Humans instinctively round off values in order to simplify things. The metric theory of mere would describe both values as “mere pounds”; the imperial, both as “mere pennies”. Clearly neither theory fully satisfies the way humans handle decimals.

The Naturalist Theory of mere states that there is a conflict between the technically correct use of the plural in the English language, and the “common sense” choice of units of time. As such, the Naturalist Theory proposes that:

When there remains less than 1.5 larger units of time until the event, then mere is to be called in the next smallest increment of time. The use of the smaller increment is prohibited before this landmark.

Thus 8 days from the lan is “mere days!”, however 12 days (or 1.7 weeks) from the lan is still “mere weeks”. To take a working example: the earliest acceptable call of “mere days” for i30 (assuming start of the lan is EAS Thursday) would have been last Monday at 6am.

- Gregg "Cabe" Bond
    • Expansionist:

An Introduction to Mere Expansionism

What is Mere? Mere is an expression of how much time there is left until an event of note. In my world, these are usually LAN parties, these are universally great. Thusly a suitable method of expressing Mere must be reached, lest it tear the fabric of our community asunder. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you The Expansionist Theorem of Mere. Hereafter know as ETM.

Second verse, same as the first.

We of the English language speaking persuasion know and love plurals, (see what I did there?) As a rule we can use them in our daily lives, with out much confusion. If for instance I have more than one Banana I have two (or more) Bananas there isn.t much to go wrong there now is there? Or is there controversy contained within these sweet yellow boomerangs?

Now we start getting into the meat of the issue, what if I were to eat one of my bananas? I would only have one left! Only one banana! But what if I restrained myself and only ate half, how many would I have left, well its less than two bananas isn.t it? So a plural cannot be used. The problem now is how do I express this in language? One and a half bananas whilst being pleasing to the ears (and tummy J) is a grammatical anomaly.

Another way to express a banana is a function of how many bites it takes to eat. I have 6 bites of a banana which (for most of us) equates to one banana. So my one and a half bananas becomes I have 9 bites of banana. Grammatically more correct, I.ll think you.ll agree.

Third verse, its getting worse.

So how does this apply to mere you ask? Well dear reader, read on. There is light at the end of this dark tunnel. Let us start the dissection of ETM.

Lets assume we have 2 months left until the next lan party, and it.s currently exactly 8 weeks until the lan (average a month as 4 weeks) and you go to sleep (you have to some time, its scientific fact). Its now 1 month 3 weeks, and 6 days until the lan. That.s less than 2 months, and as such we cannot say Mere Months.

It is now according to ETM Mere Weeks. A few more nights go past and we find us with only 2 weeks left until the LAN. Where.s all the time gone? Do I have a Lift? But I am digressing here a little. You sleep for a further night, its now 1 week and 6 days left. Mere Days is now invoked.

As you can see, this system can have infinite granularity.

<2 Decades . Mere Years
      <2 Years . Mere Months
      <2 Months . Mere Weeks
      <2 Weeks . Mere Days
      <2 Days . Mere Hours
      <2 Hours . Mere Minutes

And so on.

Why is it called Expansion Theorem of Mere?

Because it was the word of the day on a website and it fits my reasoning behind .expanding. a sequence into the next category of Mere.

Alternative Naming of Expansion Theorem of Mere

My esteemed colleague Robin .RTO. Oldham proposed this convention of Imperial Mere.

.The current situation is “11 days, 17h 00m 06s” left until i23, this translates to…
      1) 1.67 weeks
      2) 1 week, 4 days ( = 11 days )
      Now, obviously this has troubled people for a long time, however I have a solution!
      Metric and Imperial calling of MERE WEEKS, just like Yards/Inches and Metres/Centimetres (which also provides you with double the fun and anticipation).
      1 = metric, 2 = imperial.
      So currently, we are in METRIC MERE WEEKS, however, we are now well into IMPERIAL MERE DAYS..

- Deborah "Strych" Cutchey
    unspecified / unspec / spec
    Insomnia Volunteer/Crew ( Blue/Network Team // Yellow/Tech Support Team Leader ) // Stratlan Volunteer/Crew
    Insomnia: i43,i45,i46,i48,i49,i50,i51,i52,i53->i65,?; StratLAN: 2016:Feb,Nov; 2017:Feb,Jun,Nov; 2018:Feb,Jun,Nov; 2019:Feb,Jul; Regionals: Scotland'16,'17; Ireland'16,'17

[17:07] <niax> A dead body is fine to sit on helpdesk

I am deeply offended that you chose to exclude Boolean Mere.

It is either LAN or NOT LAN. There is no point in reasoning about the in-between states.
    insomnia Yellow Shirt Team Leader
    i { 27, 28, 31, 33, 34, 36, lite, Yellow { 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 }, Scotland '16, Ireland { '16, '17 } }, LeachLAN { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 }, StratLAN { 40, Winter { '17, '18 }, Summer { '11, '12, '13, '14, '18 }, Xmas { '11, '12, '14 } }, Epic.Lan { 2, 3, 4 }, DreamHack { Summer '18, Winter { '10, '13, '14, '15, '17, '18 } }

Comment

Working...
    X